Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Okie Funk: Dr. Kurt Hochenauer


 Okie Funk is a political blog that mainly covers political issues in Oklahoma. He has a liberal insight that really seems to draw attention from the younger generation in Oklahoma. He generates at least 3,000 unique hits a month, and the peak for Kurt is 14,000 unique hits a month. Along with those numbers, Dr. Hochenauer has close to 10,000 registered followers. For being an independent blogger that has no money being put into this is impressive. I almost try to model my layout similar to his because it's effective when reading it. 
   
   Dr. Hochenauer has had several jobs before blogging. He worked at the Tulsa World as well as many other magazines before blogging. In 2004 he started his own blog called Okie Funk. He has switched the his platform two times since he has started blogging. He switched to Facebook for the comments, due to he believes that Facebook is an easier platform to have discussions through commenting. 

   Okie Funk uses a Liberal Democratic political approach that is meant to discuss issues in Oklahoma.His posts are insightful to the younger demographic of adults in Oklahoma. His views on a national standard are viewed to be Moderate Democratic, but in the most conservative state in the United States, Moderate Democratic seems to be Liberal Extremists. 

   Economical capital and living in the past seems to be what Oklahoma does best. I feel as if Okie Funk is the forefront of the new age of libertarians in Oklahoma. The rest of America is catching up to Oklahoma, and now the leaders of the state are attempting to fight it. With insights that will eventually change the future of Oklahoma, I think Dr. Hochenauer is doing something brilliant. Leading by example of what good writing can get you. He is ethical (for means of a political writer) in blogs he post. His unique writing and usage of adjectives are next level writing that only a certain amount of writers have. His vocabulary is broad enough to not use the same adjective or verb in the same post. All of the ways that he writes is how I want to write when I blog. Crafting my blog into the way I want it will not be easy. Using what I have learned from reading Dr. Hochenauer's Okie Funk  on a weekly basis will help me succeed if I want to pursue my blog. 

   All of the things that I have learned from this class have been beneficial to me. Blogging has helped me vent out my ideas instead of just thinking about them and not knowing what to say. Blogging has helped me construct my thoughts in a more organized way compared to when I would be scatter brained while writing and jumping back and forth between topics. In particular, Okie Funk has taught me the proper formatting while still providing interesting posts that will keep the followers reading. The blog showed me how to take everything I have learned and compile it into my blog. I now know how to articulate my thoughts into constructive ideas that seem to be interesting to me at least. Okie Funk will continue to be my most read blog for years to come. The approaches he takes on issues as well as the style of writing has inspired me to write in a similar way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment